Making your own pizza at home is a great way to slash calories and fat as well as add some serious flavor and nutrients by selecting your own fresh toppings. Even still, a homemade pizza can still wreck your diet if you’re not careful. Here are some easy ways to slim down your slice! (source: Huffington Post)
- Select a flavorful sauce – one with fresh herbs add flavor so you don’t have to load up on cheese
- Experiment with unconventional cheeses – use varieties with fewer calories and/or reduced fat
- Go cheese-less -try it on half the pizza or sprinkle parmesan cheese on the whole pie but shredded cheese on only half
- Pile on the flavors – use fresh veggies, fruits, herbs, and spices for maximum flavor and fewer calories
- Try a thin crust – divide store bought crust into two for a thinner crust, or use ‘Top This!’ crust.
Healthful Pizza Topping Ideas
Italian Sausage and Mushroom pizza
Top pizza with thinly sliced and cooked Al Fresco chicken sausage, and fresh mushrooms.
Top a warm pizza dough with thinly sliced red onions, Narragansett Creamery Salty Sea Feta Cheese, shredded Olivia’s Organic baby spinach, and diced vine-ripened tomato. Drizzle olive oil, a spritz of red wine vinegar, and top with sliced black olives.